Transition services are a coordinated set of activities that focus on activities or courses of study available in high school that will facilitate students' movement toward their post high school goals, including: Post-secondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation. Transition services are based on the individual child's needs and take into account the child's strengths, preferences, and interests; and includes: Instruction, related services, community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives; and if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation. Transition planning begins on or before the student's 14th birthday and continues on an annual basis for as long as the child receives special education services. Once transition planing begins, the student is invited to participate in each annual ARD meeting.

Helpful Links Related to Transition:

Guardianship and Alternatives to Guardianship

Graduation Tool Kit

Transition in Texas

Secondary Transition Guidance TEA

In compliance with Senate Bill 748, the Texas Education Agency has posted the following model form for use by school districts in notifying students and parents about information and resources regarding guardianship and alternatives. Additionally, the model form lists government services and public benefits for which referral may be appropriate.

Texas Transition and Employment Guide

A Parent's Guide to Transition Planning - English

A Parent's Guide to Transition Planning - Spanish

Transition Planning Fast Facts Sheet - English

Transition Planning Fast Facts Sheet - Spanish

Texas Workforce Commission

It is never to early to begin planning for your child's future. Interest lists for many community based services have wait-lists of 20 years or more. Many of these services are NOT income based. It is best to sign up for services now and then you can always decline if you are not interested in the service when your child becomes of age. A full explanation of services can be found at Texas Health and Human Services.

Helpful Links Related to Texas Medicaid Waivers:

HCS (Home and Community Based Services)

CLASS (Community Living Assistance and Support Services Program)

MDCP (Medically Dependent Children Program)

For additional information regarding transition services contact:

Paul Yardley
Educational Diagnostician 
Phone:  972-924-1016

Ashley Shuma
18+ Teacher
Phone:  972-924-1100

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.